Friday, April 27, 2007

See you soon

Boyd died today. This morning I got a call at the office saying that he died a few minutes earlier. I got to the hospital in time to talk to his son but before he'd had a chance to tell his mom. It was good to see him finally out of the misery of tough breathing and pain. A man that was so invigorated by life itself should not be forced to live like that. It just wasn't who he was.

When I went to visit last night, I had a strong feeling that it might be the last time I would get to talk to him. His wife and son were there all night but for some reason they weren't there when I got there. I got to have a few words with him by ourselves. I read some Scripture and prayed. I shared a bit about how special he was to me and our church. His wife always said that hearing me pray and holding his hand made him feel at ease. He liked it when I visited but having other stuff to do, I would always leave him with a prayer and telling him that I'd see him again soon. Last night was a chance for me to say good bye. And while he wasn't responsive at all, I'm sure he heard.

This morning, I just sat there and as I always feel around situations like this, totally lost for words. I guess I've learned that it's okay not to say anything and just to be there but every time, I feel like I wish there were something I could do. But this was a God thing. Just as life is. And I needed to just trust this family into God's hands.

We miss you Boyd. But we'll see you again soon.

No comments: