Saturday, April 21, 2007

Perspective

Boyd sits in the second row at the right outside aisle of the church. He's always wearing his best and whenever he sees me, he gets a big smile on his face and greets me with "Reverend." His wife sits beside him but Boyd is usually the one to do the talking. Ever since I met him a year and a half ago, our conversations are always about how good God is and how amazed he is that he is alive after being close to death more times than he can remember. But he's articulate, smart and has a handshake grip that can make you cringe if you aren't careful.

But tonight, Boyd is dying. He's given orders to his doctor to take the medication away and let him go. There won't be another near death experience. This time he's going to be with his Lord for good. He can barely talk now because he hasn't eaten in a week. Sometimes he forgets where he is or what's happening. His handshake is still firm though.

I asked him how he feels about dying. He said he's okay. It's time. And then he mutters a few words that I can hardly make out. "God is faithful to me Chris. He always has been. I shouldn't even have been here this long." I just about lose it. I do about the only thing I could do. I start praying and the whole time his eyes are closed and his breathing shallow. Boyd's favorite Psalm is Psalm 23 and every time I've prayed this week I've used that imagery. It seems to calm him down. Tonight, Boyd was reciting it under his breath.

I've been around dying people quite a bit in ministry. It's part of life and I'm comfortable with it more or less. But there's something about this guy that's different. Since last Sunday, I've been there twice a day almost every day because it's where my thoughts and prayers are. I've been almost awestruck how he can be so thankful even with the kind of week he's had.

Just before I left, he looked at his wife of 37 years and said, "you've always been there with me. Thank you." We all wiped tears away.

I don't really care whether the Canucks win or lose tonight. I don't really care if I ever lace skates and play hockey anymore. Right now, I don't really care whether I drive a nice car or pay my debts off. I'd be really happy to have the kind of ministry to others that Boyd, on his death bed, has had on this young pastor. I'd be really happy to be known as someone thankful for the time he's had with those he loves.

No comments: