Monday, July 23, 2007

Paying taxes

Nobody likes paying taxes. But of all the people that dislike taxes, I'm on the low end in terms of how much I hate them. I don't mind paying tax so that I have roads to drive on and a health care system that, despite all its flaws, works better than any other in the world. And I'm proud of the fact that we have a social system that is better than most in the world as well.

I was reminded the other day about a certain aunt and uncle of mine that Eric and I happen to strongly dislike. Besides the personality and history issues that we have with them, they also take advantage of the Canadian system - just as I'm sure many many others do.

They live in Hong Kong. But many years ago, they tried immigrating here. They bought a business and after a half-assed attitude at making a go of it, they sold it - complained about Canada and decided to go back to HK to work. But they kept a house here and are dual citizens. Each year, for about 3 weeks, they come here for holidays. During that time, they book appointments for every conceivable medical test/procedure that they can think of. And hand in a care card number to pay for it. They don't pay one cent of income tax. The only tax they pay is the GST/PST because they have to eat while they are here. And they complain.

Recently, the Canadian government is trying to cut some of this off by taxing citizens that have holdings and make money elsewhere. And what do my relatives do? Complain about it.

I hope they complain sometime at a family dinner while I'm there. I'd love to tell them what I think. TAKE A HIKE! WE DON'T WANT YA.

No comments: