Saturday, June 23, 2007

political correctness

I've been grumpy this week. PMS for men. Not sure why but no matter what's going on, I don't feel like doing it. I've written two complaint letters that were pretty seething this week and I pity the people that have made sales calls to my house. When I was at the store the other day and the girl at the checkout was talking to me and somehow came up about where I worked and I said at the Presby. church, she said, "oh yeah? I go to church too! The JW church." I just turned and said, "it's not the same thing." and then took my bags and left. Probably not the best witness - and next time I"m in, i'll make sure I'll be extra kind.

Anyhow, got me thinking about being politically correct. I'm good at it. But I hate it. Being a Presby. means even among the churchy people, there's things to say and avoid. Let alone others. Here's a few.

1) I've touched on the religeon one. Why is it that we have to be so accommodating around spirituality? They aren't the same! One isn't as good as another! It's not what's right for you, what's right for me. It's what's right, period. Wanna argue about which is right? Fine. At least you can acknowledge that they're different and it's more than just optimism or something in our head that's fabricated.

2) Alcohol and drug abuse. It's not a disease. Yes, for a few people, it is something that you grew up with and had less of a chance of avoiding it. But drinking and using drugs was a choice and even though you knew it was addictive and bad for you, you still did it. The addiction you have is a consequence. Deal with it. When you can admit that, you've got a chance.


3) I'm Chinese. If you don't know what I am, call me Asian. That covers almost half of the earth's population. But don't just guess or say, "you people". That's offensive. If you are white and not a good friend of mine, don't make Chinese jokes either.

No comments: