Thursday, June 7, 2007

My job

First, let me say that this past week, I've been surprised to hear from a few people that they actually read this blog. I know there is an etiquette around blogging that you don't mention blog stuff in everyday conversations with people so you just never really know who's reading it. I guess I should be careful what I write! Or maybe slip in subliminal messages here to unsuspecting readers...

I don't think I've ever met anyone that has said to me, "Chris. Pastor. That's what I thought." It used to offend me a bit but then I realized it's because people see me as just an ordinary joe. (*this is when I called you) I think some of this comes from the misconceptions people have around church and ministry. People generally don't know too many pastors as close friends. (some of that is because some pastors have friendship issues) Or people don't really see 95% of what a pastor does or what a church is all about. Anyhow, here's a few reasons why I love what I do...

1) My job is to see the things that aren't visible. How God is working in a life - through good situations and many times even bad ones. Where God is in Scripture and in the world. I believe God is more at work today than He ever has been before. It's as obvious to me as my receding hairline.

2) I get to be a part of other people's lives. I'm an extrovert. I learn from people. I've learned so much about life through being a part of others joys and struggles, life and death. I'm encouraged just about every day by the courage and strength people have. My worldview is broad and my grace has grown because I've seen firsthand how people make the most of life with far less than I will ever have.

3) It's flexible. A pastor job is what you make it to be. I get to plan activities and programs if that's what I want to do. I can spend my days visiting people if I want. A good pastor knows what they are good at and brings that to their work and not just trying to fill a job description. (I'd argue that every job is that way but that's another story). Not to mention that a pastor has flexible hours. MANY hours sometimes but flexible ones.

4) I get to preach and teach. I love preaching. Not only is it because I like to talk and in this job, people come to listen to me ramble for half an hour but to be able to be an instrument for God to speak through is something that is absolutely the greatest thing in the world. For me, there is no better place to be than behind the pulpit. I'm at my broken lowest before God but I feel like that moment is what I was put on this earth to do.

5) Reading and growing is a part of my job. Right now, I'm reading "The Gospel according to Starbucks" by Leonard Sweet. My feet are on my desk and I'm flipping the pages thinking about what this means in terms of 21st century ministry. If it was sunny outside, I'd be under a tree reading this right now. I might be drinking coffee or a cold coke.

6) I get to play. This Saturday, Kevin and I are taking a bus load to go cart or swim or play video games. In the literature, it's called "relational ministry". In the vernacular, it's called playtime. Whether it's youth group, a coffee appointment, playing my guitar in worship, visiting a family for dinner or serving at camp, it's fun. Some people take holidays to do this stuff. It's part of my work day.

7) (the complete number) To most people, church is boring. Truthfully, sometimes to me it is as well. But, church at its finest moments, is something that is absolutely the most amazing institution in the world. When a family goes through a significant lifechange (ie. birth, death, moving etc.), this congregation here brings casseroles to their houses so they don't have to cook. Single moms and those struggling get mechanic and yard work done by some of the guys here. People have mortgaged homes to see God's vision carried out when money is needed. People give and give and give and give expecting nothing in return. WHY? Because they genuinely love each other. They genuinely love God. And they KNOW deep as deep gets, that THAT is precisely what God did for them. And I get to witness it.

No comments: