Monday, March 12, 2007

Why I love my kids

Everytime I come home, the same thing happens. My daughter runs up and says, "hi daddy! hi daddy!" (and more recently) "I miss you Daddy!" Even if it's just that I went out to my car for a second, that same thing happens. My son is too cool for that now. "hi dad" is about all I get if I can pry his attention away from whatever he's doing. But if I come over and spend a minute getting into what he's doing, he instantly lights up. Among the many things that tell me I'm getting old is that I no longer know how to play with action figures. I'm not sure where we learn to do it but it ISN'T like riding a bike. He doesn't care that I don't know how. As any dad, I just fake it when I play but it just isn't fun for him when Brutaka starts preaching a sermon or Reidak plays hockey.

I'm the king of the universe to these kids. I can do anything. My son tells me that when I'm 100, we'll have to move because the roof will be too low for how tall I'll be. My daughter puts her head against my shoulder as we watch TV and says a spontaneous, "I love you Daddy.".

I know there's gonna be a day when this stops happening but for now, there's nothing like it.

No comments: