Thursday, March 15, 2007

Why I dress down to go to work

I was at a ministerial meeting the other day. I looked around the room and saw a bunch of people that I'm growing to like a lot but look nothing like me. They are older and for the most part, people that's lives centre mostly around their work. They are all in dress pants, ties, suits and some in clerical collars. I am in ripped jeans and a T shirt. That's about as dressy as I get around the church unless its Sunday. Granted, I don't give this huge thought or to make any kind of theological or other statement but when she mentioned it to me, I have gotten used to just being me - everywhere I go.

Why would I wear something that I'm going to feel stuffy in when I'd much rather wear something else? Why spend hundreds of dollars on suits and ties to wear to work when the majority of people that come in to talk to me will just be wearing a baseball hat and shorts? Or worse yet, I'll just be locked in my office writing a sermon anyways?

It's hard for anyone to hear us say things like, "we're just like you in the eyes of God" when we talk with words that no one understands, in a weird "pastor" voice, wearing a clerical collar and look nothing like a normal person. I feel like I'm acting like someone I'm not. And if I'm pretending, no wonder other people call me a hypocrite. Those that say that when we're pastors, we no longer are speaking on behalf of ourselves but rather God, I'd say that all of us are supposed to represent God. Pastors are just people called to serve, preach the Gospel and provide leadership within the church. But so is everyone - just in a different place with different people. Authentic witness starts with being authentic ourselves.

So that's why I dress down. And why I'll never wear a clerical collar.

No comments: