Saturday, August 25, 2007

Why being an older brother is harder.

-I've been spanked more on the index finger of my right hand than my brother's whole body.

-When I get presents for special occasions like my wedding, people like my family still think they need to be "fair" so they give him stuff too. When he gets married, will there be "fairness" gifts? I don't think so.

-When my parents wanted me to do stuff, they just told me to do it or else (I'd get spanked. I'd be grounded. etc.). When my parents wanted my brother to do stuff, they paid him.

-I showed my parents first how disappointing having kids can be because I'll never be the "perfect Chinese kid". But it was an uphill battle fighting to NOT play the piano (for about 5-6 years!) or to NOT have to get straight A's! By the time my brother came around, he quit piano the first time he asked. He got a C+? Maybe just pay him $5 instead of $10...

-It seems very important that my parents groom an independent spirit in me. "Get a job because we're charging you rent!" "We're not feeding you anymore. You eat too much." "We got by without help. Why can't you?" were a few ways that came out. Why is it so much more important for me to be independent?

-My parents simply just love Eric more than me.

3 comments:

Ericdaman said...

Don't be bitter that I beat you at everything these days!

RaisingUpLeaders said...

Thanks to all the older brothers and sisters out there. I am the youngest. Thanks for paving the way.

Anonymous said...

ugh. I'm a middle child.

The best AND worst of both worlds.